I trained and worked as a doctor for 30 years – most recently in East London Urgent Care services, but also in Siberian TB prisons and on the actively volcanic island of Montserrat.
Now I’m a full-time artist.
I’ve always been passionate about art, and partnered extensive travels in Iran with a Masters in Islamic Architecture & Art.
My current work focuses on how we .
I’m especially interested in how bodies thrive through the cycle of life.
- To June 2020: Live-streaming Covid-19 installation from my front room;
- 1 June: Eye-Say Eye-Say solo and group standup comedy;
- Nov 2019-through 2020: Zoom theatre Director training with Extant.
Cancelled/deferred because of Covid-19:
- BMW Tate Live: Sitting on a Man’s Head: Performer in group show with Okwui Okpokwasili 16-29 March: cancelled
- Monster Me: 3-d work with sculptor mentor/St Martins students: autumn exhibition on hold
- Earth Theatre, Hackney: Instasonus/Hear Differently: Performer in innovative multidimensional sound show due 28th September: development/rehearsals on hold
Nov 2019/Feb 20: Cloudspotting / Partnering Lights: Participant with Raquel Messaguer;
Dec 19 / Jan 20: Insight. Curators at Leeds University are exhibiting art by visually impaired artists, including me. Two of my visual jokes are here below:
July 2019: Green Screen Charivari, Live Arts Development Agency, Leeds. Selected as participant in residential group project: including set-design, costumes, acting in street and green screen interior Charivari parades. Here is one of my felt masks, ready for green-screen work made from initial paper cutouts as shown below:
May 2019: Deathbed Skiing: starting on the side of a mountain, and ending in a luscious Fruiting Forest of Dreams. Part of Wandsworth Arts Fringe 2019, at Tara Arts:
Director and producer.
- I wrote the words (which I performed), created digital art, sourced video, and organised tech support and funding.
- I also choreographed a professional dancer for one section; and sourced live music for interludes
Dec 2017 – Jan 2018: Participant in workshops / multiple performances at the Showroom Gallery:
We directed, acted and set-designed our own productions, culminated in Free Flow Fictioning:
I showed work on ‘Beauty in Islamic Architecture’, plus the beginnings of Deathbed Skiing – as below:
Other Exhibitions / Curating:
- More than nomads. Solo photographic exhibition. I learnt Persian to be able to walk the traditional twice-yearly migration with a Bakhtiari family.My photos of this were exhibited at the Brunei Gallery, SOAS in 2008.
- Curating. Alongside my own photos, I curated some early images of the Bakhtiari: it was on their land that Middle East oil was first found, and they were the muscle for the 1909 Constitutional Revolution. I am now the virtual curator for early images of the tribe.
My Iran-related publications, teaching, conferences and lectures are here
I’ve also got various medical degrees and certificates, including: MB BS BSc(Hons) JTCGP MSc FFPHM MRCGP(Distinction). Look on drcaromawer.com if you want to know more.