I’m a multimedia artist, concentrating on digital and performance, and now making videos and weaving.
Before that, I had a 30-year career in Public Health and Emergency Medicine, including on the actively volcanic island of Montserrat, and in the Tuberculosis prisons in Siberia
I have a Masters (Distinction) in Islamic Art and Architecture. SOAS 2009 and have travelled extensively in Iran.
I’ve also worked as an historian:
– Following my work on Montserrat, I transcribed family papers of the Sturges, and transferred them back on-island. Joseph Sturge was an important Quaker abolitionist and activist. So I definitely know that Black Lives Matter!
– In 2008 I exhibited my contemporary photographs of the migration of a Bakhtiari family in the Brunei Gallery, SOAS. It’s on Bakhtiari land that Middle East oil was first found, so – alongside my photos – I also curated an important historical exhibition.
I’m the virtual curator of Bakhtiari images.
– 17-21 November: 91 Divoc: Participant in real-life Mamomi group exhibition – I’ll be recreating my Safe as Houses, and also making three new pieces.
– 21 September: Second Look: Three-month Residency looking at Splitting of the Moon, and an Urban Dawn.
– 7 June: Speaking on Resonance Radio about my Tree Pillars.
Ongoing art work:
– I’m still weaving with Joy_In_Weaving. Previously with MAKE @Story Garden, Central Saint Martins. My current project is a multi-season multi-sensory tree.
– I’m proud to be a Trustee for Rationale Arts: Making art exciting and accessible.
– Active participant with @the_stereognosis_project.
– Active participant with The Mamomi Initiative
– Active participant in Theatre Director Pathways training by Extant.
– 7-14 May onwards: Pillars and Mirrors: My work on urban trees was commissioned as part of In the Meantime with RCA/CAC
– Freeweaving Freeswimming. My weave was Exhibited as part of Joygun Nehar’s section within In the Meantime
– 5 Dec: Finalist in VOSAP Art from the Heart competition.
– 12-22 November: Being Human festival with group online exhibition. Participant.
– November: Exquisite Corpse film: Participant in Sapphire Goss’ curated film, where each artist makes a 30-90 second clip having only seen the last shot of the preceding artist.
– Sept-November OneLineLifeLine: Movement and performance with Engage2Stage
– Late October: (Un)forgotten Flora: Online exhibition under the “Creativity from HOME” experimental residency curated by Co-iki. I’ve chosen to focus on Lemon Trees, and the Persian Oak. See my summary film here and details of other international participants here.
July: Third Wave: Documentary Video about inequalities and Covid-19:
– Special award for Covid Critique. Plus: Runner up in Bertha Dochouse competition.
– 22 July: Interviewed on Resonance 104.4 FM about this film and my installation. https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/smashing-records-22-july-2020-carolin
1 July: One artist’s experience of the lockdown. Current practice and case studies. Arts, Health and Wellbeing Special Interest Group Newsletter, Royal Society pf Public Health, 2020: 1/3;8
1 June: Eye Say Eye Say, Sit down Stand up comedy on Zoom. One of my jokes is the clip on the Extant website.
March-June 2020; Safe as Houses: #isolationcreation installation with multiple 3-d and collage art pieces crammed in my front room. Images on @caromawer . Related:
– 23 June: Art House Project: Group on-line exhibition of Art in Pandemic times;
– 30 May: Malfunction: A One-Minute-Wonder sound piece broadcast by Dexter Bentley;
Mar 2020: Vocalist in group performances of Okwui Okpokwasili’s Sitting on a Mans Head. Tate Tanks. BMW Tate Live. Cancelled due to Covid-19.
Mar 2020: Climate Justice: Workshop leader / lecturer at Whitechapel Ideas Centre. Cancelled due to Covid-19.
Dec 19-Feb 20 Director / Producer for The Giant Green Canary
My first ACE application – to produce a multilingual multicultural climate justice pantomime with six actors, and a ballet chorus of long cane users was declined.
But the learning I got from this was better than any course.
Dec 19-Jan 20: Insight. Leeds University Art Gallery.
2-d art exhibition by visually impaired artists, including my visual jokes: The Blind Cloning the Blind; and I’m Looking Back at You: a Female Gaze
Dec 19-Jan 20: A Crash Course in Cloudspotting: Participant. With my rest recorded on an app and shown in an exhibition of lighting effects.
Alongside my short story: A little rest
July 2019: Green Screen Charivari, Live Arts Development Agency, Leeds. Selected as participant in residential project: including set-design and costume creation.
May 2019: Deathbed Skiing, Tara Arts, Wandsworth Arts Fringe:
– Director and Producer. I wrote the words (which I performed), created digital art, sourced video, and organised tech support and funding. I also choreographed a professional dancer for one section; and sourced live music for the interludes.
– All starting on the side of a mountain, and ending in a Luscious Fruiting Forest of Dreams
Dec 2017 – Jan 2018: Participant in workshops and multiple performances at the Showroom Gallery following Dawn Breaks
Each participant directed, acted and set-designed our own productions, culminated in Free Flow Fictioning:
I worked on ‘How we see Beauty’, as well as the beginnings of Deathbed Skiing